Here you will find information on a variety of family-related issues and assistance. This section provides links to courts in New York State that can help you file a petition on your own without an attorney, as well as information on how to obtain custody, child support, and spousal support, and information on domestic violence (DV).

The Consulate-General of Japan in New York distributes free Japanese mother-child handbooks. For more information, please see “Information on Distribution of the Maternal and Child Health Handbook (Oyako Kenko Techo)”.

In addition, childhood immunizations are required before your child is admitted to kindergarten or school in the United States. It is not uncommon to be required to re-administer vaccinations if there are some vaccinations in the U.S. that are not included in the Japanese immunization program, if there is no proof of previous vaccinations or history of illness, or if vaccinations administered outside the U.S. are not recognized. In order to prevent this, it is essential to have a mother-child handbook, immunization record, or other proof of immunization. Please read “Japan Vaccine Informational Materials” translated into Japanese by Dr. Tomohiro Katsuta about immunization in the United States. However, this is only a reference material, so please ask your doctor about your individual case.

  1. Divorce
  2. Custody
  3. Child Support
  4. Maintenance (Spousal Support)
  5. Domestic Violence (DV)
  6. The Hague Convention
  7. Federally subsidized child care
  8. Pre-K
  9. New York Paid Family Leave

Ways to Give

Please Support JASSI
Guidestar JASSI certification

JASSI has earned the Gold Seal for our transparency from Guidestar, the world's largest database of nonprofits. More on

Guidestar JASSI website